Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Ponderings on Ephesians...

As I have written about before, this is my first year to read through the Bible. In case you haven't read my previous posts, I am reading the Bible through the Daily Audio Bible. A wonderful servant of God, Brian Hardin, reads a little out of the Old Testament, the New Testament, Psalm, and Proverbs everyday and he makes his podcast available to anyone to download for FREE. Anyway, as this is my first year, this is my first experience with many of the books of the Bible. I love getting to a new book and learning about the history of the book, as well as gaining whatever God has in store for me.

I just recently finished the book of Ephesians. W.O.W. This book is so rich with insight, wisdom, and virtue that I need to go back and read it again. Paul is the author and he truly was divinely inspired because what he had to say makes so much sense, even for now 2000 years later. I'm going to hit a few highlights of what really spoke to me. Before I do that though, let me just write a little disclaimer: Obviously I am no Bible scholar. What I write is what I got from my reading and is therefore my conclusion. :)

To start off Paul writes this in chapter 1, verses 4-6:

For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love, he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ in accordance with his pleasure and will - to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves.



Isn't that amazing?! God chose us before creation! I find that to be so comforting and awe-inspiring...

Next, in chapter 3, verses 16-19:

I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being; so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge - that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.


Paul prayed that we may have the power to know how much God loves us. God's love for us is so huge, that it goes beyond all human comprehension. I can not understand it. There are some things that we are not meant to really understand until the given time and this is one of those things. Yes, I know God's love for me is steadfast and faithful and bigger than any love ever imagined, but can I really, truly know what that feels like until I see his radiant son? I don't know... But the fact that he loves me this much is enough for me right now.

Moving on to chapter 4, verses 17-19:

So I tell you this, and insist on it in the Lord, that you must no longer live as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their thinking. They are darkened in their understanding and separated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them due to the hardening of their hearts. Having lost all sensitivity, they have given themselves over to sensuality so as to indulge in every kind of impurity, with a continual lust for more.


I know this one seems a little harsh. At least it does to me because I feel it describes many people in this world exactly. The "Gentiles" here is referring to non-believers, or at least that is what I think. Why do I think this passage describes many people today? Because a few years ago, this was me. (And still is from time to time...) I was darkened in my understanding - I had none! I was separated from God because I separated myself. I'm just thankful that my heart was not hardened. Thank you Jesus...

I have more I want to get out, but it will have to wait. I am so so tired and if I continue to write, I will not get it out exactly as I want it. So I will end with this note / comment:

God chose me before he created the world. His love for me surpasses all knowledge. I was in a dark place, separated from God with the impending hardening of my heart, but Jesus saved me. He waited patiently for me to return to him. I am not worthy of his love, but he gives it freely and sincerely. Man, God is awesome.

No comments: