Monday, October 4, 2010

Scripture memory, for real.

So my 5 followers may be wondering why I haven't written since July... Well, the real reason is that I was waiting for that "perfect" blog idea. Most nights I open up my blog and think to myself, nah, that's not a great blog idea. Who would want to read about that. But you know what? I'm tired of waiting for perfect. ha!

Tonight I want to share with everyone just how wonderful God is. He is my rock, my friend, my father, my savior, my wisdom, my love. I look back on the years of my life when I was living without Him and I wonder how on earth I did that. I simply can not imagine my life without talking to, thinking about, talking about, writing about, worshipping, praying to, crying to, holding on to, being with God.

Every year my life seems to get just a bit busier. This year (and just so you know, I think in terms of school years) is the busiest yet! Monday and Tuesday I rush home to get Madi and take her to riding, Wednesday I tutor, I often bartend on Saturday and serve at church on Sunday. Monday through Wednesday I wake up at 5am, leave the house by 7:30am, and don't get home until about 7:30pm. Thursday and Friday I try to not schedule anything afterschool but I really want to start a small group and I think it will be on Thursdays. During the week I try to keep the house clean, but by Friday it's always a mess. So Saturday is heavy cleaning day, and grocery trip day. But that's only if there isn't a horse show to go to which means waking up yet again at 5am to be there by 6:30am. And all of this is only outside of work... During the work day I have my 150+ students to deal with, plus their parents, plus grading papers, plus lesson planning, plus meetings, plus committees (where I seem to be the one to do most of the work), plus mentoring a new teacher (who is awesome!). Sheesh... I think you get the idea. lol! By no means do I think I live the world's busiest life or do I feel sorry for myself. Please don't think that! I just sometimes feel that I have all these balls I'm juggling and it can get a little hairy at times.

My point is this: I've been feeling overwhelmed and stressed out. And for those of you who know me pretty well, I really don't stress that easily. So, a few weeks ago when I was almost to the breaking point, I decided to turn to something that I knew would be able to help me. I turned to God's word.

A few days earlier, I was reading an awesome book called "A Voice in the Wind" by Francine Rivers and the main character was reciting a Psalm. That Psalm stuck with me and in the midst of my stress, I felt lead to memorize the whole thing. Now, I had thought about memorizing scripture before, and had memorized some already, but not something so long. So what I did was write it down on a notecard and basically bring that card with me wherever I went. After a few days I had it memorized and I would say it to myself when I was feeling particularily stressed.

Here's the scripture:

Psalm 23 (NIV)

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For you are with me. You rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You annoint my head with oil. My cup overflows. Surely goodness and love with follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.


It's amazing how such a simple solution can do wonders for a complicated life. God's word is so powerful. I feel that memorizing His word brings me closer to my Lord... because I am thinking about Him, and I feel that He is speaking to me.

So the next week, I wanted to memorize another longer piece of scripture. I found one in Galatians that I really liked. Here it is:

Galatians 5:22-26

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with it's passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying eachother.


Whenever I recite this one, I try to reflect on each fruit of the Spirit. I know that the Holy Spirit is in me and that with the Spirit it is possible to "keep in step with the Spirit".

Now it's a new week and I still haven't decided what to memorize, but I know that God will lead me to what I need. Or maybe He is intending for me to write this instead! LOL!

I think what I've learned through this is to really and truly turn over stress and troubles to God. To put it on His shoulders. He wants to be with you! He wants you to rely on Him. In the past, during difficult times, it was normal for me to pull away from God and turn to more destructive type behaviors. But now that is not my desire. I desire God above all else. And I know He desires me.

2 comments:

Brett said...

Hi Jenna!

I was reading about scripture memory on Google and came across your post. Have you heard of Scripture Typer? It's a website that helps you memorize scripture by typing it; first while looking, then with every other word hidden, and finally without looking at all. I thought this might be a helpful resource for you, and maybe even for some of the kids you teach.

Blessings,

Brett

Jenna said...

Hey Brett! Thanks so much for the suggestion. I really appreciate it! I'm definitely going to check it out.

Jenna