Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Contentment

I know in my last blog post I said I would continue my thoughts on Ephesians... but time simply got away from me. I still am in love with the letter that Paul wrote and I think about it often. So now I would like to talk about another of Paul's letters. This is from his letter to Timothy, who was like a son to Paul. Timothy was in Ephesus and Paul wrote this letter to him to encourage him in his leadership role. The following is something I read today that really stuck with me.

But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. I Timothy 6: 6-10


I love the first line - "But godliness with contentment is great gain." If we combine godliness with being content in life then we will experience great gain! I feel so encouraged from this.

"For we brought nothing into the world, and we take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that." How true is this?! We can not take ANYTHING with us when we die so why waste contentment with anything besides our basic needs?

This next line is powerful - "Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction." Wow. I am guilty of this... I've wanted to get rich. If I'm honest, I still feel that if I had more money or even an unlimited amount of money my life would be much easier. But that's exactly the opposite of what Paul is saying. Money is not contentment. In fact it can really lead us into destruction.

And here's the most famous line, one that is often misquoted - "For the LOVE of money is a root of all kinds of evil." Money is not evil. Having a lot of money doesn't make one evil. It's the LOVE of money, making money the most important thing, making it an idol that is evil.

And the last line - "Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." This is something I do not want to ever do, wander from the faith. It took me so long to get here that I can't imagine wandering from faith, but it can happen so easily. It only takes a slight change, a slight exception, etc. and wham, faith is far from you.

So I'm going to remember this - "But godliness with contentment is great gain." I am content and I am living by the Spirit therefore by the grace of God I am in possession of great gain!

No comments: